Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Planes, Boats and Automobiles

Sunday, June 15, we began the journey across the world. These four ladies have become so precious to me as we prepared for the trip and I got to know them better and as we began to serve and share with one another. Their heart for God and desire to know Him more and make Him known is incredible. What a blessing they are!
Liz, Grace, Bri, Heather and Mama Lori
 We met most of the rest of the team and made our way through security expecting that the last three members of the team from the U.S. would be a few hours behind us meeting up with us in Detroit.
Chris, Whitney, Phil, Scott, Grace, Mama Lori, Liz, Bri, Briana, Heather
 We arrived in Detroit and as we began to board our next plane for Amsterdam it was clear that the last three team members were not going to make the connection. I tend to get a little stressed during travel and God's still working on me...I was taking comfort in Phil traveling with us. I had heard stories of bags getting stopped at customs and the way he handles things and I wanted him traveling into the country by our side. When they missed the connection by 20 minutes I started stressing and God calmly drew me close and said, "Who is Phil? Phil is no one without me. I am with you." I am so thankful to serve the living God who loves me enough to continue molding me.
  We arrived in Nairobi with all of our 23 bags about 24 hours after our journey began.
 We made it to our guest house for the evening and enjoyed a good meal, hot shower and bed for a few hours.
 After a few hours of sleep we headed back to the airport to fly to Kisumu where we loaded up the vans to travel to our first area.
Liz, Bri, Heather, Briana, Grace in Martin's van
 The way of life in the villages of Kenya is heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. The fact that they have so little breaks my heart but the way they adapt and enjoy life is beautiful. In America we have so much but so many of us live discontent lives always wanting more. 
To really live is to depend on God with every breath.

The beauty of Suba Island area was incredible!
 We loaded a ferry and enjoyed visiting with the team members, pastors and translators who were already there upon our arrival.

On the ferry ride I had the opportunity of getting to know Keith and Erin Holloway. They graciously played my game of 20 questions and I immediately fell in love with this couple as I heard their heart for the people of East Africa. They were transparent as they shared stories of ways they missed the comforts of home especially their families. PRAY FOR THE HOLLOWAYS. They shared about the difficulties in coordinating ground work for these teams to come in the summer. PRAY FOR THESE PROCESSES AND THE RELATIONSHIPS THEY MUST BUILD TO ACCOMPLISH THESE TASKS. When I asked what types of things they do on a day to day basis, the list included distributing rice and beans to churches for K4K, going to the grocery almost everyday because their fridge isn't very big, spending time with children in a hospital called Russia, working with and training local pastors, helping with Miracle Power orphanage, and they do all of this before dark so they are in their home before nightfall when possible. PRAY FOR THEIR SAFETY. PRAY FOR THEIR COMMUNITY. PRAY FOR THEIR MARRIAGE. PRAY FOR THEIR SON, COOPER, AND A QUICK UNCOMPLICATED DELIVERY. PRAY FOR WISDOM AND GUIDANCE. PRAY FOR THEIR FAMILIES IN AMERICA.
Lake Victoria view from our door in Mbita.
Pill packing in preparation for Clinic Day One.
Dinner plates and butter knives make for excellent counting trays and spatulas!
During all of the pill packing excitement I began to lose focus on our purpose of bringing the Good News of Jesus to the people of Kenya. I started to focus on the logistics of dispensing meds and the reality of treating these diseases that I had never seen before and I started to panic. Before dinner a group of us went to the shoreline to watch the sunset and I was praying hard. I was asking for peace and God reminded me of our purpose through a picture I took. It wasn't until I was looking through the pictures later that I saw the sun and the heart and was reminded that the love of His Son is our purpose here and it far outweighs the pills dispensed or suspensions mixed. But while we are there telling about Jesus and bringing hope for their soul we can bring medicine, prayer, and healing to their physical bodies as well. 
That night Keith shared during our devotional time from Matthew 14:22-33. Jesus called Peter out on the water and it wasn't until Peter took his eyes of Jesus that he began to sink. I chuckled to myself and said, "I hear you, God. Thank you for Your patience with me and calmly drawing me back when I take my eyes off of You." 
I am humbled that He would allow me to be used for His glory and overwhelmed that He takes the time to reassure me when I lose focus.

No comments: