Monday, September 28, 2015

Kenya Calling

Following God's call to Kenya for two weeks this past summer was a scary yet peaceful journey leaving my husband and two young daughters behind for the great unknown. Throughout the whole process of preparing to go I always felt very confident that God was calling me to Kenya and I never feared. I am a worrier so my mind wandered to what-ifs but God always calmed them and reminded me that He was in control. A few nights before leaving, my husband, EJ, and I were talking about the trip and I told him I wasn't worried about anything. I knew he would hold the fort down at home and we have a great group of friends that would be coming in and out to help with the girls (keeping their mind off Momma being gone and giving Daddy a little break). I told him the only thing I was a little nervous about was what God may call me/us to once I arrived or in the days following the trip.

During clinic day two I felt God calling me to more than two weeks in Kenya. Through comments and conversations with others the past few days, I felt like God may be calling me for six weeks in 2016. I chuckled at His preparation in my mind and heart for this before the trip even started. I wrestled with the thought of leaving my family for that long but I told God I would follow Him anywhere and at any cost. One of the missionaries mentioned the whole family coming next summer to which I replied, "but my girls will be 3 and 5." The response was something like "so?". By the end of clinic day two I began praying about the possibility of my family coming for the summer as well. I sat in the back of the van looking out the window praying and crying. Praying that God would reveal His will for our family for next summer very clearly. Praying that He would provide the funding for all of us to travel and stay and for our bills at home to be covered. Praying that He would work on the hearts of the people that would be involved in allowing me to leave my new job for 6 weeks. Praying that I would be obedient no matter what the call looked like. 

I had been reading through Joshua and the next night I read Chapter 10 verse 11 "the hail killed more than the sword" and I wrote 'He will do more than you can imagine'. Verse 12-13 "Joshua prayed let the sun and moon stand still. So the sun stood still and the moon stayed in place until the nation of Israel had defeated its enemies" and I wrote in my Bible 'sometimes all you have to do is ask.'  I was laying in bed that night listening to the bats wondering if the monster bug that got away from me in the bathroom could get under the mosquito net. I began to think about the possibility of my job allowing me a leave of absence for missions and God reminded me of what I had just written in my Bible, "Sometimes all of you have to do is ask". I decided right then that I would ask for a 6 week leave at the first chance I had upon returning to the states.

Upon returning two weeks later, EJ and I discussed the possibility of the whole family joining me for part or all of the summer in 2016. We are praying that God will reveal His will to us and we would all follow in obedience no matter the call. 

Two days after returning from Africa, I had a training to attend for work and my market manager as well as two other market managers were in attendance along with the market scheduler. After the meeting I prayerfully approached their table and before I could even ask about next summer they were asking me details of the trip I just returned from. Through that I shared that God was calling me to 6 weeks next summer and asked about the possibility of a leave of absence. Between the four of them I was told that would not be a problem at all. So I no longer had any excuses to give God. Knowing He was called me I know He will provide the way.

One morning in late August Ensley mentioned going to Kenya with me and I asked her if she had been praying about how God might use her if she went to Kenya. She said "I dreamed about that last night." I asked what she was doing in her dream and she said "Sitting in your lap reading the Bible." So I asked what we were reading and she said "Genesis 12". I asked what it was about and she didn't know so we pulled out her Bible and began to read Genesis 12 verse 1 
"The Lord had said to Abram, 'Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father's family, and go to the land that I will show you."
I told EJ the story and we decided that it was time to apply for Ensley's passport. So right now Ensley will be joining me for the summer in East Africa and again I have complete peace. I wonder what it will look like and how she will handle new foods and cold showers. I wonder how she will do on the long flights and adjusting to the new time zone, long days and no naps. But I know He will guide us and grow us through it all and I am so excited to see how God uses her and works in her life.



We are still praying about EJ and Ellie joining us and ask that you pray with us as we listen for God's voice and desire to follow His call. I would also ask that you pray that Ensley gives up sucking her thumb before we go. I know this sounds crazy but her body will not be used to the things she comes in contact with over there and the possibility of her getting sick from sucking her thumb would be greatly increased. We have talked with her about quitting sucking her thumb but she has no desire to quit right now and without wanting to quit there isn't much we can do. Thank you in advance for your prayers and support!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pretty awesome. God is amazing. Praying.

“Out of the mouth of babies and infants, you have established strength because of your foes, to still the enemy and the avenger.”
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭8:2‬ ‭